Twitter is still hugely popular in 2014, and the more followers you have, the more you are looked up to and seen as an authority. However there are other factors that are at play when attempting to get more twitter followers. Don’t just assume that because you have 2,000 followers on Twitter that your business will boom. You need to get the right followers and do the right things to get more Twitter followers that will actually be a benefit to you. Don’t get fooled into just adding bunches of random people and hoping for the best.
7 Ways To Get More Twitter Followers Easily
1. Don’t Be A Selfish Tweeter. Even though you most likely signed up to Twitter to help grow your business or network of colleagues, don’t just toot your own horn in every post. None of the biggest stars on Twitter do this. Sure you can plug your own services and products from time to time- but don’t talk about yourself in every tweet. Unless you are Brad Pitt, people don’t really want to hear constant stories about your life and it won’t get more Twitter followers for you.
2. Mention Other Users Directly. When you send out a random Tweet, nobody takes as much notice as if the Tweet was directed at them personally. When you fire out your next Tweet, don’t think about how you can get more twitter followers, mention somebody else in your message with the @ function and thank them or recommend their product, or just tell them something. This is a great way to get more Twitter followers. This also has two benefits – first is that it shows your followers you communicate with others and are friends with people more “Twitter fabulous” than you, second, it gets you some good connections which is what Twitter is really good for.
3. Don’t Cry Online. Unless you are in the cast of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, nobody really wants to really read emotional or dramatic posts. The business world is one where only people who are positive and optimistic can survive, and if people see that you are a negative influence even in the slightest, they will cut you off. On the other hand, don’t be one of those people always proclaiming love and happiness from the deity of choice and over the top with spirituality – give people something useful or thought provoking to read. Focus on contributing to the world and you will naturally get more Twitter followers.
4. Be A Walking Billboard For Others. When you find something that really interests you, share it on Twitter and name the author or source. Share cool things that other people have made, not just things you have made. Just learned a new fact? Great – some other people might love to know it. This is what stars and big companies always do for each other, however at the start you have to do it for free to get more Twitter followers. Sure when you have got 500k followers you might be asked to endorse products, but at the start you have to do it for free.
5. Don’t Be A Faker. There are so many of the same people on Twitter. Change it up a bit – if you are secretly incredibly lazy and love pizza, don’t pretend to be some super productive health junkie. This will not get you more Twitter followers because people can spot fakes a mile off! Just be who you are and if nobody seems to get you, then perhaps you need to make some changes in your approach!
6. Don’t Pump and Dump. Some strategies for getting a whole lot of followers revolve around a method of following a lot of people in the hope that they will follow you, then unfollowing them all. (I actually just read about this and thought it was crazy!), Supposedly, this gives the appearance that you hold guru like status and are highly revered. This is short term however, and a cheeky way to get an apparently God like status. It can give you the appearance that you get more Twitter followers than people who follow you, but do this at your own risk, there may be some repercussions.
7. Be An Expert. Sure Paris Hilton isn’t an expert at anything that we can see,(oops, did I say that?!) however she is hot & famous, which is more than enough to get more Twitter followers than your average Twit, lol. If you are just on Twitter to showcase your day with your friends and you want to get more followers, unless you are ridiculously good looking or super funny, you need to have something to offer. Whether you are just really good at programming, know how to get 8 pack ab muscles or build origami houses – you need to have something great to offer. Drop random knowledge bombs and hacks for people to help them and you will get people thanking you and mentioning you – all of this helps to get more Twitter followers.
When it’s all said and done, Twitter is nothing more than just becoming friends with people. Strangely enough, not many people try to get a whole lot of Twitter friends in the same way that they do on Facebook. Just remember, if you buy a whole lot of Twitter fans who sit there and do nothing, it isn’t going to do you any favors. What do you do if you want to make more friends in real life? You wouldn’t go and buy them. Twitter is real life, it is just on a cyber platform – the people are real, remember this and you will get more Twitter followers.
Twitter Is The Real World… kinda
If you are a great person, funny and interesting, people with common interests will naturally want to interact with you. Don’t be annoying or nag people, just be like how you would be with your friends and family. If you struggle to get more Twitter followers, start friending more people and being of service to them. Will Smith can get away with talking about who he is having lunch with because it is probably someone awesome – I mean it’s Will Smith, who doesn’t want to hear what he is up to!
However when you Tweet, realize that you are not famous and nobody cares about you personally yet – you have to do something, say something or show something cool, interesting or funny as well as provide value.
This is just how the world works, and Twitter is no exception. If you bring nothing to the table, why would somebody want to be friends with you? Even your friends are with you for some reason – what is that reason? Are you hilarious when you go shopping or something like that? Ask your friends what characteristics they like about you and then work on bringing these out on your Tweets to get more Twitter followers.